I don’t like winter. I used to like it when I was a kid. I loved putting on my boots and big poofy winter coat and trudging through the shin-deep blanket of snow. I have good memories of attempting to make snowmen with my siblings. Or I’d pick a pristine, untouched patch of snow and attempt to walk through the snow in a precise pattern so as to spell out my name or favorite word. Yes, I was one of those nerdy kids who had favorite words. Sometimes I’d take a fallen twig and try to write something in the snow in my best cursive. Ahh, the innocence of childhood where the smallest things were a delight.
Fast forward to adulthood, having raised my own children and having lived through multiple snowy winters. I don’t like winter anymore. Truth be told, I’d rather be on a tropical island or in a warm location where snow is not the norm. I’m okay if I don’t see snow firsthand for many years. Yes, it’s beautiful. It really is. I especially like how the blanket of white fluff seems to insulate the noisy outdoors. And it’s pretty when the snow covers the intricate tree branches.
But, I don’t need to live in it anymore. I’m good. Done. My body hates being cold. I no longer enjoy bundling up. The gray skies of winter give me the blues. And all I seem to want to do during the snowy winters is sleep and stay inside. This is not the way to live (for me). I want to wake up to sunshine and blue skies. I want to wear shorts in December, January and February and not be cold. I want summer weather all year long. That’s the dream.
~ Kay Dee
©2020 I Am KayDee, “Winter Fan, Winter Foe”
invading my space
i hear the buzz of lights
chirping of crickets
cars driving down the road
but in my house
time for sleep
but i’m not yet tired
of my computer
staring back at me
while i type
just random thoughts
on a page
in these moments of quiet
I find myself
contemplating the universe
asking God questions
of the act i’ve been playing all day
this is the time
I can be myself
i can breathe
i can release
unload … and
© 2012 “The Quiet” by KD / KD Corner
I’ve nothing terribly profound to share today. But, I wanted to share SOMEthing, ya know? I have to admit I was feeling kind of “blah”. So I began to think of the “little pleasures” of my day and my list began to grow.
Little things that made me smile today were:
* My work-bff came back from a 1.5 week vacation & I was so happy to see her! We got to catch up.
* I laughed with another coworker about how NBC really botched the airing of the closing ceremonies of the Olympics by randomly airing one of their new shows right in the middle, instead of airing the closing ceremonies without interruption.
* I came home to one of my kids actually doing the chore I asked them to do. 🙂 yay!
* I got to wear a new skirt to work today & laughed because it’s one of those pencil skirts that only allows you to take very small steps.
* My dog being happy to see me when I got home (just like every day).
* Seeing Facebook being used for good. A friend recently lost his brother unexpectedly and the outpouring of loving messages on Facebook for him was a beautiful thing to behold.
* Having a nice chat with God and being encouraged.
* Reconnecting with a friend that I thought fell off the face of the planet. Lol.
* Being able to buy something I really liked for lunch today.
* Hugging my youngest child (the one who still likes giving hugs). Priceless.
Have a great day!